An energy certificate is a transferable certificate, mostly in electronic form and relates to specific type of energy, commonly renewable energy. The value of the certificate depends on the mode of energy generation, quality of its production and is determined by various means and is traded at a price determined mostly over the energy exchanges or other such platforms.
Energy certificates in various countries are referred as:
- Australia: Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs)
- European Union (EU): Guarantee of origin (GO or GoO), Renewable Obligation Certificates (ROCs)
- India: Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs)
- South Africa: Tradable Renewable Energy Certificates (TRECs)
- United States: Tradable Renewable Certificates (TRCs), Renewable Energy Credits, Green tags (States like California , Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin)